PlayCanvas can import 3D content in the following formats: FBX, OBJ, 3DS and COLLADA (DAE). We strongly recommend you use FBX since this the most robust and well tested interchange format.
Here are some tips for exporting to the FBX file format:
- Ensure you have the latest available FBX exporter for your modelling application installed.
- Only export what you need from your scene to FBX. For example, if your scene contains a red car and a blue car but you only want to import the red car, export only the red car to FBX. Your modelling application should have an 'Export Selected' option.
- Select the 'Embed Media' option in the FBX exporter panel. This packages the scene's textures in the exported FBX. This preserves material to textures links during import into PlayCanvas. Otherwise, you must upload all scene textures separately and relink all textures to materials.
- Select the 'Binary' file format option in the FBX exporter panel. This reduces FBX file size considerably.
- For Blender, use Autodesk FBX Converter to re-convert FBX files and Embed Media.